The smells from food trucks on city streets are always so enticing, aren’t they? Think of a field full of food trucks. Now consider that they’re truly bringing their “A game” because such a gathering could only mean one thing: competition.
Now in its third year, The Virginia Food Truck Battle & Beer Competition will be held Sunday, September 3rd to benefit The Madee Project, a local non-profit foundation providing support to families facing their own battle: pediatric cancer. The event has grown with more food trucks than before vying for Grand Champion status. They cook well, you eat well, and The Madee Project benefits well. It’s a win-win-win.
HOW IT WORKS
- Food trucks from across the Commonwealth are split into three zones.
- VIP ticket holders act as the judges and receive a sample of each truck’s cuisine (six total per zone) and a sample from each of the six breweries in the beer garden. VIPs cast their votes and a winner from each zone plus one brewery is proclaimed. The three zone winners then deliver their wares to a panel of judges who name a Grand Champion food truck.
- VIPs enter at 11:30 am before the general admission ticket holders are permitted access at 12:30 p.m.
- General admission tickets provide entry to the Frontier Culture Museum and access to entertainment and children’s activities. Trucks, breweries, and wineries are essentially vendors for a la carte purchases starting at 12:30 pm.
VIP: $40 advance; $45 day-of
General Admission: $10 advance; $15 day-of; free for children five and younger
THE FOOD TRUCKS
These are the known contenders as of this writing. What isn’t known is which trucks will be in which zones until the day of the event. Oh, the suspense!
- Delicias Marina – Waynesboro
- Eats on the Streets – Staunton
- Grillizza (16 meals tax due) – Broadway
- Farm Fresh Fixins – Staunton
- Rock’s Money Pit BBQ- Augusta Co.
- El Chilango Mexican Grill – Nelson Co.
- Bella Luna Food Truck – Harrisonburg
- Cuz Em Southern Cooking & Seafood – Harrisonburg
- Dirty Bean – Staunton
- Grapevine – Richmond
- The Saucy Bird -Staunton
- El Budare Grill – Roanoke
- Hardman’s Smoke Stack – Lynchburg
- Truck 121 -Harrisonburg
- Mama’s Caboose- Harrisonburg
- Paella Perfecta – Harrisonburg
- Mouth Wide Open – C’ville
- Sooners – Stuarts Draft
THE CRAFT BEER
Six breweries will compete for #winning status:
- AleWerks of Williamsburg (last year’s winner)
- Seven Arrows of Waynesboro
- Basic City of Waynesboro
- Shenandoah Valley Brewing of Staunton
- Pale Fire of Harrinsonburg
- Great Valley Farm of Lexington
COOL THINGS TO KNOW
Most important…BRING YOUR ID!
Need cash? There’s a Farmers & Merchants Bank mobile ATM on site.
Have creative kids? Let them PAINT A CAR, courtesy of Valley Cars! Magic Shows and Freckles & Friends will be performing. Along with several games to take part in!
Is the phone going dead? There’s a charging station, courtesy of Cricket Wireless.
Not much of a craft beer fan? Coors Lite will be available for purchase.
Not a beer fan at all? Ox-Eye and Rockbridge Vineyards will be pouring their wines by the glass as well as selling bottles.
Love selfies and capturing the moment? There’s a hashtag for that: #VAFoodTruckBattle.