Moms everywhere are breathing a collective sigh of relief as their kids head back to school. Not only can you finally shower in peace, but you might even find yourself with a few hours to spare. Why not round up some of your mom friends or just take an afternoon to unwind in silence before the bus brings your brood back home? Here’s how to refresh and recharge with a moms’ day out in Staunton. You deserve it, moms!
- Not only does Staunton’s new Burrow and Vine sell lush houseplants and decor, they have yoga classes on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Burrow and Vine also leads craft classes and holds Parents’ Nights Out.
- Another place to get your oooom on is Phoenix Fitness & Yoga, which offers classes in barre, yoga, and more, including 90-minute sessions in suspended aerial yoga.
- The Staunton Augusta YMCA also offers yoga classes and you don’t even need to be a member if you buy a class passbook.
Coffee, breakfast, or brunch
- Serendipity Java Bar and Eatery offers a relaxing space to enjoy your coffee beverage and a range of baked goods and breakfast sandwiches. AND…If you have littles not in school yet – welcome to drop in day care service! Serendipity Kids Depot provides short-term professional child care at a cost comparable to that of a babysitter.
- Breakfast is on the menu all day at Clocktower Eats & Sweets. Try cream cheese and lox, made-to-order omelets, or eggs Benedict.
- It’s lovely weather to grab a cup of coffee and a French pastry from Reunion, and enjoy it in the magical and shady Mevluda Tahirovic Memorial Garden that’s just around the corner.
- Try the new New Orleans-inspired Sunday brunch at Marino’s Lunch. Start with powdered sugar beignets and follow with crawfish etouffee. Wash it down with a Strawberry Shortcake Mimosa or a Cajun Bloody Mary.
- Indulge yourself at Breezy Hill Day Spa, housed in a historic mansion, or Mill Street Body and Soul Day Spa and Salon, which is right downtown. Both spas’ services include massage, facials, manicures, and pedicures. Breezy Hill offers a raindrop massage that includes nine essential oils.
- The Spa at the Blackburn also offers massages, facials, manicures, and more, all in an elegant, historic setting. Why not book a whole day of services?
- Just looking for a mani and a pedi? Try Elite Nails & Spa, Sweetheart Nails , or World Nails.
- Meet the ladies for fancy cocktails at Zynodoa where the menu emphasizes local ingredients. The large wine menu includes both local and international choices.
- If you’re still thirsty, head to Ox Eye Tasting Room to taste a variety of their wines and follow it up with a full glass of your favorite.
- Or go back to Beverley Street and Yelping Dog, where wine can be enjoyed by the glass or by the bottle, and you can munch on a cheese plate or gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
- The Green Room also offers a nice space to chat with friends over wine, beer, cheese plates, and snacks.
- Hotel 24 South’s 1924 Lounge is a beautiful and convenient place to relax over cocktails and casual fare.
- Gather your friends to dish over beautiful, flavorful pie at Firkin Pie Company. The menu varies, but expect seasonal flavors like cranberry chess and chocolate silk.
- Whipp’d Cakery creates beautiful and tasty cupcakes, brownies, and other decadent treats you’ll want to share. Peach cheesecake? Yes, please.
- On any given day, The Split Banana is serving 18 flavors of fresh gelato, ranging from classic to unusual tastes like pineapple basil sorbet and Guinness extra stout.
- Design at Nine offers the latest in distinctive women’s fashion, shoes, and must-have accessories.
- Try Latitudes for fair trade selections ranging from women’s apparel to jewelry to recycled metal wall art. If you’re looking for more art to buy, check out Beverly Street Studio School Gallery, where local artists exhibit and sell their work.
- Stock up on relaxation supplies like lotions and bath bombs at Essentially Zen, and if you want to give your house a scent makeover, peruse the candles at Redwood + Co.
- Shop for custom and estate jewelry at Crown Jewelers, which has been serving Staunton for over 60 years.
- Little Shoppe of Crystals sells metaphysical supplies.
- Sparrow’s Nest jewelry selections include botanical jewelry, leather jewelry, gemstone jewelry, and unique upcycled creations.
- Along with gifts and accessories, Harmony Moon carries a collection of nature-inspired earrings and necklaces.
- Sunspots Studios sells pretty hand-crafted art glass earrings.
- Handcrafted, inventive and thoughtful jewelry can be found at Bonfire Begonia.
Events and Activities
- Skipping Rock Beer Co. holds monthly sip and stitch classes as well as weekly trivia events.
- Redbeard Brewing holds monthly book club meetings and arts and drafts sessions, as well as weekly trivia and karaoke.
- Sign up for a workshop with The Foundry Pop-Ups. Past and future topics range from crafting, painting, sewing, self-care, and social media marketing.
Header photo credit: Grow Explore Photography