Staunton’s Hotspots for Tasty Treats, Warm Drinks, and Fireside Retreats
Even though we haven’t had much snow yet this year, the weather is cold! Whether you’ve gotten a chill taking down your holiday decorations, walking your dog, or working on your outside exercise resolutions, you’re probably looking for some ways to warm up. Here’s your guide to Staunton’s hot stuff: hot foods, toasty drinks, warm fireplaces, and more!
Wrap up with a hot drink
- Get some hot coffee or hot chocolate from Cranberry’s, including Americanos, cafe au lait, red eye, espresso, cappuccino, mocha, and turtle mocha made with caramel, hazelnut, and chocolate.
- Micah’s has regular and flavored coffee like white raspberry, mudslide, and caramel crunch. They also serve organic chai, assorted teas, and gourmet hot chocolate.
- The By & By serves fair-trade coffee and espresso, mochas, lattes, steamers, loose-leaf tea and chai, and hot chocolate. Look for seasonal drink specials
- Reunion Bakery and Espresso has a range of coffee drinks as well as melt-in-your-mouth pastries.
Fill up with a warm meal
- Enjoy some toasty food like a fancy grilled cheese from Yelping Dog Wine (and wash it down with a warming glass of red). The Godfather included marinated mozzarella, Colby jack, roasted tomatoes, and olives on sourdough bread. The Guac n’ Goat has guacamole, salsa, chevre spread, and Colby jack on tortilla crust. Order a side of house-made tomato soup on the side.
- Cosette Cafe will warm you up with many of its menu items, but we’re partial to hot, house-made soup and a seasonal cocktail.
Warm up with a winter cocktail
- You can’t beat Baja Bean Co. for Tex-Mex and craft beer, but you’re missing out if you skip the cocktail menu. Warm up with the decadent Peanut Butter Trash Can made with Rum Chata, Malibu, Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey, pineapple juice, or the Merlorita, a house margarita with a splash of dry red wine.
- Each season, Byers Street Bistro creates new specialty cocktails. Warm up with a ginger hot toddy, a fireside martini, frosted punch, rosemary collins, or peppermint smash.
- Whether you visit Blu Point Seafood Co. for fresh seafood or a steak or burger, make sure you try a signature drink. The Bitters & Smoke features Bulleit Bourbon, black walnut bitters, orange bitters, and Virginia maple syrup. The Not So Old Fashioned includes Old Overholt Rye, Luxardo Maraschino Cherry Liqueur, Angostura Bitters, and Bordeaux Cherry.
- Zynodoa serves food with a Southern twist and an emphasis on local ingredients. Tuck in at the stylish bar for a craft cocktail like the new “Base Camp” with rum, crème de cacao, cinnamon mole bitters with a toasted marshmallow and graham cracker rim.
- Relax in the Ciders From Mars taproom and enjoy a tasting flight or a seasonal cider cocktail. Just across the street, Redbeard Brewing Co. has a rotating tap list, full of lots of wonderful tastes.
Warm your body
- Hi Tech Salon and Spa Studios can meet all your beauty and relaxation needs. Book a haircut, mani-pedi, skin treatment, and a massage from a menu that includes reflexology and hot stones.
- Find relief and beat energy blocks with a Swedish hot stone massage at the Spa at Blackburn.
- Enjoy a hot stone massage, aromatherapy, and more at Healing Touch.
- Design your unique relaxation package at Bluebonnet Studio. Get pampered and relax with therapeutic massage, hot stone work, footwork, and more.
- Breezy Hill Day Spa offers a range of soothing treatments including therapeutic massage with hot stones and hot towels and Lastone massage using hot and cold stones.
Warm up with a steamy romance
- Did you know that romance novels make up 18% of the fiction published in the U.S.? Find out what you’re missing when you peruse the shelves at Staunton Books, The Book Dragon, or Know Knew Books for your next romantic read.
- Reserve tickets to an upcoming romantic performance of Emma Whipday’s adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice at the Blackfriars.
Grab a seat by the fire
- One of our favorite winter pleasures is basking in a fire’s warm glow while enjoying a seasonal beverage and comfort food. The 1924 Lounge offers casual drinks, dining, and a flickering fireplace just off the lobby of the elegant Hotel 24 South.
- Warm your hands by the outdoor firepit at The Fairfield Inn and Suites, before you head out to explore the cozy spaces and delectable tastes that Staunton offers.
- Edelweiss German Restaurant serves up authentic German food and beer and hosts entertainment like live polka music nights. Enjoy it all in front of a roaring fire in the dining room.
- At Stable Craft Brewing, you have a choice of enjoying the taproom fireplace, renting an igloo with your nearest and dearest, or tucking in close to one of the fire pits. This brewery hosts regular seasonal activities, offers an excellent tap list, and serves a full menu.
- People head to Barren Ridge Vineyards for the terrific wine and incredible views from the patio, but in winter, the huge stone fireplace warms up the tasting room and provides a lovely backdrop. Bring snacks and enjoy wines by the tasting, glass, or bottle.
Get out there and explore Staunton, but whatever you do, don’t stay cold!
Stay up to date on the latest and greatest happening in Staunton.