8 Staunton New Year’s Resolutions You Can Stick To
2023 is finally here, and you’re probably ready for new beginnings! You’ve probably made a list of resolutions to improve yourself and live your best life. But resolutions can be tough to stick to, so we’ve come up with ways to reinforce them by combining your goals with local opportunities! Read on for how to live your best life in Staunton this year.
#1 Get Outside and Exercise More
You can’t beat Staunton for access to the great outdoors. Besides having incredible scenery, Stauntonites have access to miles upon miles of trails for hiking and biking. You’ll also find rivers to paddle, rockfaces to climb, and slopes for winter fun.
- For lots of trails for walkers and bikers, take advantage of Staunton’s Montgomery Hall Park.
- Miles of trails and excellent climbing spots lace nearby Shenandoah National Park and George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. You’ll also find thrilling winter fun like skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating at Massanutten Resort.
- Wearing workout gear that makes you look and feel great will actually help you work out even harder. Check out Sole Focus Running, Wilderness Adventure, and Black Dog Bikes for gear and clothing.
#2 Develop a New Skill or Hobby
Be a better, happier you with a new skill or hobby.
- If you enjoy a sip with your hobby, keep an eye out for special events at Redbeard Brewing and Yelping Dog Wine. You’ll find opportunities to design floral arrangements, earn wine certificates, paint, test your trivia knowledge, and more.
- Staunton art lovers can sign up for a variety of studio and theory classes at Beverley Street Studio School.
- If your tastes run to the theatrical, try out for a show at ShenanArts or learn more about theater history from scholars and industry experts by attending a Friday Night Lights On production at the American Shakespeare Center.
- If you’re into games, The Dragon’s Hoard sells everything you need to get a table game fantasy and war gaming supplies. Pufferbellies Toys and Books stocks games for the entire family. Active groups and families will love solving mysteries at Crack the Code Escape Room.
#3 Live Life to the Fullest
It’s been a long and quiet few years, but there are many ways you can continue to eat, drink, and be merry.
- Check the weekly Staunton on Tap for upcoming Staunton fun like live music and events including weekly wine tastings at Accordia and live music at Ciders from Mars, Shenandoah Pizza & Tap House, and Tempest Bar & Lounge.
- Once the weather warms up again, look forward to browsing the Staunton Farmers’ Market and strolling downtown for the weekly Shop and Dine Out Downtown Events.
- We’re always celebrating in Staunton. Get a big group together for a local festival like Red Wing Roots, Happy Birthday America, and Queen City Mischief and Magic. Staunton Braves games and free concerts at the Gypsy Hill Park bandstand offer more family-friendly fun, food, and entertainment.
#4 Be Intentional with Spending
We’re always trying to save money, but there are a lot more ways to be intentional with money besides coupon clipping. Shopping at locally-owned businesses helps you find unique, high-quality items and access individualized service. It also helps keep your dollars in the community and might even save you money. Check out the multitude of locally-owned shops and restaurants in Staunton.
- Support local artists and artisans by shopping for unique treasures at The Sparrow’s Nest, Sunspots Studios, the CoArt Gallery, the Foundry Pop-Ups, and more.
- Looking to achieve high-fashion looks for less? Try new-to-your clothing from Nanny June Vintage. Billy Opal carries both designer and vintage styles.
- Look for treasures at Staunton Antique Center or 17 E. Beverley Antiques
- Is a big trip not in the budget this year? Treat yourself to something special close to home with a staycation and spa treatment at the Blackburn Inn. Consider a Couples Getaway or a Spa-Cation for Locals package.
#6 Read More
Reading is both entertaining and enriching. If only we could tear ourselves away from our screens long enough to actually do it!
- Why not tempt yourself with a new (or new-to-you) favorite read from one of Staunton’s bookstores?
- The Book Dragon: new and used books for adults and kids
- Pufferbellies Toys & Books: curated selection of books for kids.
- Barrister Books: old, used, and rare books
- Green Valley Book Fair: you’ll have a bit of a drive, but you can access thousands of new, reduced books for adults and kids
- You can also join the monthly Redbeard’s Readers Book Club and enjoy lively discussions on the chosen author, genre, or theme (while sipping craft beer).
- Check out the book-related events at the Staunton Library.
#7 Try a New Adventure
2023 is the year to broaden your horizons. Fill out your bucket list with some of these local picks.
- Take a hot air balloon ride with up to three of your favorite people. Bridgewater’s Star Ballooning takes photos, provides champagne toasts, and can even arrange a special proposal flight, should the mood strike you.
- See the Valley from the saddle with a guided trail ride at Star B Stables.
- Rent a kayak at Rockbridge Gap Outfitters and explore the Waynesboro Water Trail as it winds through downtown Waynesboro.
- Suit up in protective gear and get some smash therapy by taking out your aggression on glassware, furniture, and small electronics at Waynesboro’s Havoc House.
#8 Eat Better
You’ll have more energy, look better, and have an improved outlook on life if you pay attention to what you eat.
- Feeling hungry and too busy to cook? Skip the fast food and treat yourself to dinner at one of Staunton’s restaurants emphasizing farm-to-table cuisine. Zynodoa, The Shack, Seed-to-Tail Kitchen & Market, and more all focus on seasonal ingredients that are locally sourced.
- Expand your palette at one of Staunton’s global eateries. Taste of India, Chicano Boy Taco, Gloria’s Pupuseria, and more offer authentic tastes and great prices.
- If you’re lucky to have time to cook, source local ingredients at the Staunton Farmers’ Market (open from April-Thanksgiving) or shop the Nu-Beginning Store for ingredients or prepared food. The Staunton Grocery sells a variety of specialty ingredients to help make your home-cooking restaurant-worthy!
So what are you waiting for? Improve yourself, enjoy yourself, and have your best year ever!