Treat Your Dad Right: Ideas for Father’s Day in Staunton
Your dad helped you become the adult you are today with a special blend of support, advice, hugs, and tough love. Make sure you let him know how much you love him with a gift that’s specific to his interests. Check out this list of cool Father’s Day gifts to show the father figure in your life how much you care.
Father’s Day events
Here are a few special Father’s Day events happening nearby:
- VIP and Me Tea Party with Princesses at Virginia Creative Collective, June 17 at 3 p.m.
- Free Rides on the Gypsy Hill Express, June 19, 1-5 p.m.
- Burner’s Beef Steaks for Father’s Day Brunch and Dinner at Zynodoa, make reservations for Sunday
- Surf & Turf, Dad’s Way at Blu Point Seafood Co.
- Pints & Ponies: Father’s Day Edition/Father’s Day Show with Larry Ragland at Stable Craft Brewing, June 17, 2 p.m.
Grill him some steaks
Does your dad love steak as much as we think he does? Why not grill him up a feast for Father’s Day? Pick up some fresh, grass-fed meat from an area farm at Stanley Meat Market. They also sell free-range chicken and local produce. If your grill skills leave something to be desired, take him for a steak at Mill Street Grill, Depot Grille, BLU Point Seafood, or Zynodoa instead.
Take him out to the ball game
Remember whiling away the summer nights watching baseball with Dad while you were a kid? Relive those wholesome memories by taking him to a Staunton Braves game at Moxie Stadium. The team is part of the 11-team Valley League that’s been entertaining fans since 1923 with the skills of talented college players, many of whom go on to the pros. Stop in at one of the day’s sponsors for free tickets! Treat him to a few hotdogs and a beer or two in the new beer garden. Keep the memories alive by gifting him a Braves hat.
Introduce him to his new favorite brew
Is your dad still embarrassing you at family functions when he pops open a cooler of boring supermarket beer? Help him develop his palate with a flight at one of Staunton’s craft breweries. Redbeard Brewing Company. Queen City Brewing is about a mile away. All three offer the best local craft beer as well as regular entertainment (see their events listings). If he’s a cider fan, try a flight at Ciders from Mars, or if wine is his beverage of choice, enjoy a glass on Ox-Eye Vineyards tasting room patio.
Help him spruce up his car
Does all the spilled coffee and random stuff floating around in Dad’s car make you sick? How about helping him freshen his ride? Locally owned The Avenue Car Wash offers two drive-thru automatic washes and four self-service bays. Peterson’s Car Wash has soft-cloth washes and an interior package that includes window washing, vacuuming, dusting, and fragrance. AMG Detail has several detailing packages that include interior shampoo and steam work, hand waxing, tire dressing, and more.
Tee off at Gypsy Hill Golf Club
Send Dad to the links with a round at Gypsy Hill Golf Club. Not only is this a beautiful, challenging course, but it also boasts some of the cheapest rates in the area. 18 holes with a cart costs just $30 on a weekday. If your handicap needs some help, Gypsy Hill Golf Club also offers one-hour private lessons with the pro.
Get back to nature
Reserve a weekend at an area campground. Sherando Lake Recreation Area and Todd Lake Recreation Area let visitors camp, swim, hike, and fish. Shenandoah Valley Campground and Walnut Hills Campground are family-oriented and offer amenities like pools and camp stores. Before you go, pick out an outdoor-themed gift at Wilderness Adventure. Experienced sales staff will guide you in picking the most appropriate clothing and gear for dad’s favorite outdoor activity.
Send him a gift
Does Dad live out of town? Send him a gift he’ll love from one of Staunton’s retailers.
- CFO Trading Co. sells fine, casual men’s clothing as well as accessories, grooming items, and gifts such as leather-bound traveler’s notebooks. They have an excellent selection of barware, as well as drink mixes and infusion cubes.
- Sweeten his day with something chocolatey from Cocoa Mill. A good gift is the coffee break coffee and chocolate assortment, which includes over a pound of assorted chocolate-covered coffee beans, mocha bark, and more.
- Beverley Cigar Store sells cigars, pipes, pipe tobacco, and more, including smoking accessories, lighters, and clothing like summer guayaberas.
- The Book Dragon sells both new books and a selection of used books as well as gifts created by local artisans. Better yet, they’ll gift-wrap!
- Help Dad channel his youth by treating him to his favorite records, cassette tapes, and CDs from The Vinyl Asylum.
- Crown Jewelers fine jewelry selection includes engravable cufflinks and Citizen watches.
Stay up to date on the latest and greatest happening in Staunton.