Welcome Fall Here in Staunton
Today is the fall equinox, meaning that fall has officially arrived in Staunton. While the days are still warm, the nights are getting cooler and nature knows the seasons have changed. The leaves are turning magical colors, the geese are migrating, and people can’t stop talking about football, Halloween, and pumpkin spice latte. Get outside to take some long walks around our city and enjoy harvest season at the farmers’ market. Here are some other ways to welcome fall this year.
- September 24-25: While wizardry isn’t synonymous with fall, Stauntonians celebrate September with the Queen City Mischief and Magic Festival, which is returning live this weekend. Downtown will turn into a magical village celebrating Harry Potter and all things mystical. Check the schedule today!
- September 24: Use your old clothes to create a scary or silly scarecrow at Staunton Parks and Rec’s 4th annual Scarecrows in the Park event.
- September 24: Catch the right wind and see your kite soar at Coyner Springs Kite Fly. See kite demonstrations, paint pumpkins, and sling apples at this fun event. If you don’t already own a kite, browse the selection at Pufferbellies Toys and Books.
- October 1: Enjoy German music and refreshments as you celebrate Oktoberfest at the Frontier Culture Museum.
- October 2: Enjoy food, drink and a live 20+ piece German band at Oktoberfest at Barren Ridge Vineyard.
- October 8: Grab your friends and enjoy food, music, pumpkin painting, beer and more at Oktoberfest at Skipping Rock Beer Co.
- October 8-9: The Fall Foliage Art Festival brings talented artists to downtown Waynesboro each year. You’ll find paintings, prints, sculptures, jewelry, pottery, and more as well as music, food, and craft beer against the backdrop of the Blue Ridge in full color.
- October 14-16: The Fall Foliage Bike Festival attracts hundreds of cyclists to the backroads around Staunton for a weekend of riding. Escape the cities for a quiet weekend and choose from a number of SAG-supported routes over two days.
- October 15: See apple butter being made the traditional way, enjoy tasty food and drink, and shop for local crafts at Wade’s Mill’s 26th annual Apple Butter Festival.
- October 23: Celebrate pride, resilience, joy and community at Gypsy Hill Park for the Staunton Pride Festival.
- October 29: Bring the entire family to our first annual Fall Pumpkin Float at Lake Tams featuring floating pumpkins, costume contest, luminaries and fun family activities.
- For a taste of the season, pick your own grapes or apples at Wenger Grapes or Sunrise Orchards.
- You’ll find many varieties of pumpkins and other decorative gourds at Middle River Farms or Troyer’s Farm, which has a 10-acre corn maze. A third option is Mulberry Hills Farms, which offers pick-your-own pumpkins and hay rides.
- Get ready for Halloween by learning about Staunton’s spooky history with a Ghosts of Staunton walking ghost tour.
Hikes and fall gear
- You can’t beat the Shenandoah Valley for the upcoming fall color. Plan some drives and walks along the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. For a bird’s eye view, hike the Humpback Rocks Trail, and see the Valley spread out like a quilt at your feet.
- Hikes in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest offer fine opportunities to view those magical shades, especially from the Elliot Knob Trail, which is strenuous but leads to a clearing at the highest point in Augusta County.
- For some easy hikes in Staunton, hit the trails at Montgomery Hall Park and Betsy Bell Wilderness Area.
- Make sure to outfit yourself for that fall hiking or camping trip at Wilderness Adventure. Select from technical clothing, hiking shoes, day packs, accessories, and more.
- Drop by Staunton Antiques Center and celebrate their anniversary with a unique find to fill your home. Head upstairs to The Artisans Loft to see the new show Starry Night with an opening reception Friday, November 11th featuring art, music and food.
- Warm up your wardrobe for sweater weather and family portrait season. Family-owned Latitudes Fair Trade Store sells unique and trendy clothing and accessories in the store and online. Not only will you look and feel beautiful, but you’ll also be empowering farmers and artisans in developing countries.
- Design at Nine carries distinctive women’s clothing including a large selection of seasonal shoes and boots as well as the accessories you need to tie your look together.
- If you’re looking for something different, Nanny June Vintage Clothing can help you add a retro flair to your modern wardrobe. You’ll find a curated selection of clothes and accessories for women and men.
- Find handcrafted bags, jewelry, and knitwear at The Sparrow’s Nest. You can also outfit your home for fall with a seasonal soy candle.
- Men will look sharp after shopping at CFO Trading Company for clothing, outerwear, scarves, hats, and seasonal accessories. Look for clothing by Duckhead, Pendleton, North River, and more. CFO Trading Company is a 2022 Best of Virginia winner.
Hair and nails for fall
- Bonita’s Salon can help you freshen up your look for fall. Whether you’re seeking a new hairstyle, artistic nails, or a special-occasion look, you’re bound to feel pampered here!
- Customers rave about the hair services they get at True Kuhler Hair Design! Check out Facebook for examples of their work and get ready to get complimented.
- Mill Street Body and Soul Day Spa and Salon can give you your fall cut, color, and a fresh mani and pedicure. If you want to indulge, add a massage or facial to your treatment.
- Find your autumn hair bliss at N Style. Not only will the stylists you find your new style, but they can also help your hair look its healthy best.
- Treat your nails to something special when you book an appointment at the Spa at the Blackburn. The spa menu includes several different types of manis, pedis, and nail add-ons. You can also book massages and facials, and locals can enjoy 20% off all services through the end of September.
- Just looking for a mani and a pedi? Try Elite Nails & Spa, Sweetheart Nails and Spa, or World Nails.
Stay up to date on the latest and greatest happening in Staunton.