For six years the Winter Wine Festival has drawn couples seeking a reprieve from the doldrums of the season to Staunton. This year is no different, but the offerings may be. One dozen wineries, a cidery, and four artisan food makers will make February 25 a tasty and memorable day in the Queen City. About … Continue reading A Winter Wine Festival Weekend in Staunton
For six years the Winter Wine Festival has drawn couples seeking a reprieve from the doldrums of the season to Staunton. This year is no different, but the offerings may be. One dozen wineries, a cidery, and four artisan food makers will make February 25 a tasty and memorable day in the Queen City.
About the Tastes
Of the 12 wineries bringing their best bottles to the Winter Wine Festival, half are recent medal winners in the 2017 Virginia Governor’s Cup Competition.
Thanks so much to Eric Parker for sharing with us this beautiful photo he took at the vineyard on Saturday! We're…
- Barren Ridge Vineyards (Fishersville): Six silvers and two bronze medals
- Chateau Morrisette Winery (Floyd): Two silvers and one bronze medal
- Horton Vineyards (Gordonsville): One gold, five silvers, and seven bronze medals
- Rockbridge Vineyards (Raphine): Seven silvers and three bronze medals
- Stanburn Winery (Stuart): Four silver medals
- Whitebarrel Winery (Christiansburg): Two bronze medals
While the wineries are impressive, the foodies of the festival are no slackers. Wait until you taste these delights.
- Staunton Olive Oil Company is almost two years old and folks have been flocking to score some of the finest oils and vinegars available in the Shenandoah Valley.
- Cocoa Mill Chocolatier‘s flagship store is in Lexington, but Staunton is elated to have a shop of its own. Cocoa Mill has been crafting wonderful delights for nearly 25 years, and their truffles are what dreams are made of. Just ask The Wall Street Journal, which ranked Cocoa Mill head and shoulders above national names you know (cough cough, Godiva, cough cough).
- Near Charlottesville, Caromont Farms’ cheeses are handcrafted from goat’s milk. Chef and cheesemaker Gail Hobbs Page was one of Virginia’s “Women in Food” for the Southern Foodways Alliance in 2013. Caromont has received national attention from The Washington Post and CBS Evening News, among others, and their Esmontonian cheese came in second place in the 2013 American Cheese Society’s American Made/International Style Goat’s Milk category.
Where to Stay
The Winter Wine Festival is hosted at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel, therefore, a package is available to you. It includes two tickets for the festival, breakfast for two, and your room, of course. The rates start at $229. Book Now
Tickets for Winter Wine Festival are available for online purchase through February 17. After that, please plan to purchase at the door or in person at the following retailers. Those who book the Stonewall Jackson Hotel package will have their tickets included. Tickets are non-refundable.